Best way for a total newbie to start developing on Oasis Network?

Is there some tutorial which which shows basic steps (from setting up environment on local PC to deploying a simple “Hello World” contract to Emerald testnet) from a perspective of someone who never heard of docker nor hardhat/truffle?

Is there some repository of user created dApps which would serve as a learning material for those who want to dive into developing on Oasis Network?

Hey Mare- thanks for asking! We do have the Developer Courses on our website which is what I believe you’re asking for. At the moment, our team is working to ramp up additional resources and support for developers. We welcome all feedback for what would be most useful.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Yes, this is helpful for the people who are somehow already experienced with the development on EVM and they want to try it on the Emerald paratime. It shows a bigger image.

But it would be convenient to have from zero to hero guide on setting up local development tools and providing an example of the simplest form of an smart contract so newbies can play with it on the Emerald testnet preconfigured. I believe something like this is possible to be created and distributed.
And I believe it could propel curious audience to try even complicated solutions on Emerald, that mental friction when you’re trying something new is the big barrier to exploring the space :smiley:

1 Like

You did go through our official docs right? Overview | Oasis Network Documentation

1 Like

I missed this one because I was scared of docker thing,
I was ignorant and though it required some special kind of configuration to be used for Emerald Paratime playground.

After carefully checking - Writing dApps on Emerald | Oasis Network Documentation
I see this is a perfect start few those who want to learn to develop, and it’s so easy to start.
Thanks!

If you’re a total newbie looking to start developing on the Oasis Network, here are a few steps you can take:

• Learn the basics of blockchain technology: Before diving into the specifics of the Oasis Network, it’s important to have a good understanding of how blockchain technology works. There are many online resources available, such as articles, videos, and courses, that can help you get started.

• Familiarize yourself with the Oasis Network: Once you have a good understanding of blockchain technology, you can start learning about the Oasis Network specifically. The Oasis Network website is a good place to start, as it provides an overview of the platform and its features.

• Choose a development language: The Oasis Network supports multiple programming languages, including Rust and Solidity. Choose a language that you are comfortable with and start learning its syntax and development environment.

• Read the documentation: The Oasis Network provides comprehensive documentation that covers everything from setting up your development environment to deploying smart contracts on the network.

• Join the community: The Oasis Network has an active community of developers and enthusiasts who are always willing to help newcomers. Join the official Oasis Network Discord server, where you can ask questions, share ideas, and collaborate with others.

• Start building: Once you have a good understanding of the Oasis Network and its development tools, start building your first project. It’s best to start small and gradually build up your skills and experience.

Remember, developing on the Oasis Network (or any blockchain platform) can be challenging, but it’s also a rewarding and exciting experience. Take your time, be patient, and don’t be afraid to ask for help when you need it.

Blockchain development is not good point for start programming , you should have some experience in programming , data structure and algorithms.
but if you are familiar with these concepts and interested to develop and oasis , you need to know about oasis first.

Learn Blockchain Fundamentals

Learning basics of blockchain is essential.you need to have a good understanding of blockchain concepts such as algorithms , consensus mechanisms , structures etc.

Learn about Oasis Network

i you need to develop on Oasis , you need to know about Oasis Network.Oasis official document is the best place to learn about Oasis.

Programming Language

Oasis has a multi-layer structure and supports multiple programming language: Solidity , Rust. Solidity is designed to develop smart contract and much easier than Rust , Maybe better choice for start. cryptozombie is good to learn about solidity and dapps.
Oasis Emerlad layer is good playground to learn smart contract development.