Get the ball rolling: Improving the user experience and focus of Oasis Network

Hey everyone, lets get the ball rolling on community impact now when staking rewards ending has been reconsidered; why not reconsider more?

I wanted to start a conversation about the user experience in the Oasis Network and propose some ideas on how we can enhance it. It’s evident that the Oasis Network’s modular architecture holds great potential, but it’s important for us to critically assess the current direction and its impact on users. In this post, I’d like to highlight the untapped potential of Sapphire as a standalone Layer 1 (L1) solution by abstracting the architecture and consensus network, discuss the potential for a rebrand or atleast repurpose the network from its 2018-2020 ethos.

1. User Experience Woes: Complexity Over Intuitiveness

We’ve all encountered the complexity of the Oasis Network’s current nomenclature and design, which can be challenging for developers and users alike. The plethora of terms surrounding Oasis consensus layer, Paratime (and the name of each paratime), and $ROSE often creates confusion and really serves no purpose for end users that just want to use a neat L1. Additionally, navigation the network’s architecture with its intricate pathways between consensus and paratimes can be daunting. It’s crucial for us to prioritize user experience and find ways to make the Oasis Network more user-friendly and accessible.

1. The Potential of Sapphire as a Standalone L1 Solution

Sapphire, as a standalone L1 within the Oasis Network, is brimming with untapped potential. However, its value often remains overshadowed by the network’s inception focus on paratimes and modularity. By shifting our attention to Sapphire as the core product and access point, we can leverage its unique features and use cases. With its scalability, improved transaction speeds, and advanced privacy features, Sapphire presents an enticing option for developers and users. It’s time to amplify these strengths and streamline the user experience, positioning Sapphire as a leading choice among EVM networks. They only need to know Sapphire, nothing else!

1. Preserving the Oasis Privacy Layer

While we explore the potential of Sapphire as a standalone L1, it’s essential to underscore that this transition should not undermine the use of the Oasis Privacy Layer. Thats just value on top off Sapphire.

The Case for a Rebrand: Attracting Attention and Fostering Fresh Interest

To reinvigorate the Oasis Network and generate renewed enthusiasm, I propose considering a potential rebrand centered around Sapphire’s standalone L1 identity. By simplifying the complexities of the modular architecture, we can introduce a “new” Layer 1 network that offers a fresh perspective. This approach should not hinder the use of the Oasis Privacy Layer, as it will continue to serve as a vital messaging system for Sapphire. A rebrand can act as a powerful marketing tool, capturing attention and igniting curiosity around the Oasis Network’s renewed focus on Sapphire.

In conclusion, let’s prioritize user experience and unlock the full potential of the Oasis Network. Shifting our focus to Sapphire as a standalone L1 solution, in everything from documentation, to marketing and $sapphire ticker (wen launchpad). Let’s discuss ideas on how we can make the Oasis Network more user-centric and drive adoption, with a serious re-evaluation that is in favor of adoption and not just serving as a paycheck for Foundation staff and developers that come and go every quarter.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts and engaging in a fruitful discussion (Hi Jack!)

1 Like

Simplifying the network’s architecture, focusing on Sapphire as the core product, and preserving the Oasis Privacy Layer are key considerations. A rebrand centered around Sapphire’s standalone L1 identity could generate renewed interest. We’ll have to wait and see =)

1 Like

I believe Sapphire is an incredible innovation that has opened up numerous possibilities. It has the potential to become a cornerstone in the space. However, in my opinion, Oasis goes beyond that and brings even more to the table. From its inception, Oasis was designed to foster innovation, with adaptable consensus mechanisms and customizable paratimes that can support a wide range of technologies. Therefore, I respectfully disagree with the idea of rebranding because it wouldn’t do justice to the Oasis Network. I’m confident that Oasis will continue to amaze us in the future.

1 Like

I think the blockchain and web3 space is still processing the idea of how confidentiality can coexist with decentralization and transparency. Oasis is showing the way but the blockchain privacy paradox has been so long-standing that everyone is taking a moment to catch up with the solution. Cipher for WASM, Sapphire for EVM, and cross-chain OPL for EVM existing dApps are going to change the industry for the better. Confidentiality is a paradigm shift in blockchain space which is just taking its time to sink the concept in.

1 Like

You are not gonna get ambassador points for posting such superlative nonsense. OPL is already designed to abstract the need for users to even know about Sapphire. Sapphire could do the same abstraction from the modular architecture of Oasis, by focusing on the actual end result as a L1 of splitting up consensus and execution.

The main value of Sapphire is the programmable confidentiality that comes from being a Paratime, not the fact that its a paratime among others.

1 Like

I love your idea of focusing more on adoption - there’s no doubt that this should be the priority. The community plays an essential role here, and we need to foster an environment where more users can engage and contribute. It’s all about delivering real value for the whole Oasis Community.

2 Likes